1. When was the first time you touched a computer and what kind of computer was it? 1981 – IT99-4A. It booted into basic, hooked up to the TV, and had no eternal storage. If I was working on a long program, I needed to leave it plugged in and on and hoped that mom wouldn’t turn it off.
2. When was the first time you actually owned a computer and where/how did you get it? See #1.
3. What was the first job that you had which required you to use a computer? I did data entry of ice cream orders on a dumb terminal for a company called Wicklow Frozen Deserts in 1986.
4. When was the first time you got online and how did you? -Was it a BBS, AOL, Netscape etc.? VAX account at U of A in 1990. Used Pine and Elm as mail programs. Frequently used Archie, Veronica, and WAIS. First browser was Mosaic. And let’s not talk about the newsgroups and multi-part mime files.
5. When was the first time that your job required you to have internet access? Getting hired by AOL in Oct 1994
6. What did you not see coming (in the computer/internet industry)? The huge wave of human stupidity once the Internet became readily accessible. Damn you Jan Brandt for ruining the internet for us!