1. When was the first time you touched a computer and what kind of computer was it?
An Osborne 1. The “little” guy ran with dual 5.25 floppy drives and an external CRT so you didn’t have to go blind using it.
2. When was the first time you actually owned a computer and where/how did you get it?
Cobbled together a Pentium in the early nineties from scavenged parts and a new motherboard, CPU, and video card. It was my first time with graphics better than EGA and it was very nice.
3. What was the first job that you had which required you to use a computer?
Working for AOL.
4. When was the first time you got online and how did you? -Was it a BBS, AOL, Netscape etc.?
Part of my scavenged items put a 1200 baud modem in my hands. I used a hijacked shell account through the UofA to mostly IRC, get files, and newsgroups.
5. When was the first time that your job required you to have internet access?
My work with AOL starting in ’94.
6. What did you not see coming (in the computer/internet industry)?
I did not see the bar for access becoming so low. The internet is so pervasive now that people accomplish tasks without even realizing what is occurring in the background.